Welcome to the homepage of Whitesbog Village, an early 20th-century company town and agricultural community. In the early 1900s, Whitesbog was the largest cranberry farm in New Jersey, and its founder, Joseph J. White, was a nationally recognized leader in the cranberry industry. Aside from its immense success with cranberries, Whitesbog is also where the highbush blueberry was first successfully cultivated.
Today, Whitesbog is part of Brendan T. Byrne State Forest and is listed on both the National and State Registers of Historic Sites. Whitesbog includes the village and the surrounding 3,000 acres of cranberry bogs, blueberry fields, reservoirs, sugar sand roads, and Pine Barrens forests.
The Brule River State forest was established in 1907 with a land gift from Fredrick Weyerhaeuser’s Nebagmon Lumber Company. In 1929, the Wisconsin DAR acquired 320 acres near Brule with the financial support of the Ah Da Wa Gam Chapter along with all other daughter chapters of the Wisconsin DAR . ON September 1, 1930, this tract was dedicated and turned over to the state and is still part of the state forest plan today. WI DAR financial support continued through the 1930’s and beginning in 1930, 2,000 seeding trees were planted annually at Brule. In the 1940’s, with the advent of the war, WI DAR focus turned to support of the war effort projects and the WI DAR tract of land was absorbed into the Wisconsin state forest plan.